Letter(s) Home- Bruce Stanton

To My Dearest Wife, Constance,

        Every day I am here I think of you. I truly hope our 6 children are doing well. I miss you all very much. How are you? I am sure being a volunteer nurse is difficult, I wish the best of luck. How is my father? I know how badly you and he wished to be with me here, I would love for you two to be here, but I put your safety first. Please tell our children to behave nicely towards you while I am gone since I cannot be there to help out. Tell them that I want them to protect you in my place. 
       I am proud to be a part of this war and take great honor in being enlisted as Captain of the Devout Defenders. I have no doubt the Union will be victorious. I'm sure after we win this war I will be in your embrace again. President Lincoln is doing such a great job and it is an honor to be working with him, I wish you could meet him. Soon, slavery will not be an issue, so please rest assured. I love you, and my hopes and prayers are with you every day. I hope you write back soon, I miss your letters.
                                 

                                                                    Love,                                                                                                                               Bruce Stanton


To my father, Willaim,

         Hello father, I know it has been a while since the last letter. I wanted to check in on you and Constance. I miss you all so much. How are you doing? Is the bank doing well? I trust you are doing a good job. Don't worry about me out here, and don't fret too much about the fact you couldn't join me. Please watch out for Constance and the kids while I'm gone. I wish I could be with you all.
        You remember how nervous I was when enlisting. There were men qualified men, most seeming over 18. Although I noticed some younger people in the crowd. I take great pride in this war, and I hope you continue to support me. I have great people on my side, so rest assured I am in good hands. I will lead this regiment to victory, and there is no doubt within me. I hope to hear back soon.


                                                                    Love,                                                                                                                               Bruce Stanton



Comments

Popular Posts